“OMG, sobrang TITA ko na!”
I’m starting to hear this more and more from my friends. We say it when we’re sleepy at 10pm, when we catch ourselves planning brunch instead of after-dinner drinks, preferring coffee dates over inuman, etc. I don’t know if it’s the trend right now to identify as a tita (see: @TitasOfManila) or my peers and I have really just crossed the bridge to Tita-hood. I realize all my above examples have something to do with sleeping early. Haha. Well here are more signs that I’ve entered tita-hood.
- I have never been to 71 Gramercy, Black Market, Valkyrie, Raven, or any new “it” club. The last time I was in a club was 2 Thursdays ago when my band played at Aracama. When we were done playing and the electronic dance music dropped, we transferred to a pub that played Foo Fighters at a soft level.
- I went to Jim’s basketball game in a cardigan in case it was chilly. It turned out to be very warm. Lo and behold, I had a fan in my bag!!! A beautifully carved wooden paypay!! I wanted to throw it and run from it screaming no because it was the turning point for me. Who carries a paypay in their bag?? I do.
- I’ve begun following a budget. I still don’t know HOW to budget (thank you so much to my lovely husband for taking care of it for now) but we have budgets for stuff now. Livin’ La Vida Loca, right?
- My favorite hang out spot is my own place. Last Friday night, we didn’t want to go out so we had 2 couples join us as we hosted wine night. And we had kamote chips. Call the cops!
- I now enjoy yoga. Something that my younger self found so boring is something my tita self looks forward to. What is happening?
- Moisture is so important to me now. I never thought I would be the type to put cream on my face every morning and lotion on my body every night. But that’s what you need when you become a dried up old fart. OMG OA!!! Joke lang I know I’m not that old. But I /am/ getting drier. Haha. I’ve also started carrying a water bottle with me to keep hydrated.
- I have tried setting up all the single people I know. I will not stop. I will forever be the annoying meddling cupid in my friends’ lives. Well, I’ve been doing this since after college so it’s not super tita-ness.
- Appliances, home decor and furniture have replaced clothes, accessories and shoes on my shopping list.
- Diffusers and scented candles are some of my favorite things.
- I actually interrogated our 18-year-old drummer’s new girlfriend when they came over. As in kulang nalang tanungin ko siya nang “what are your intentions?” Hahaha! But I was pouring wine while asking her about what she liked to do for fun (she’s a cheerleader) and saying “mmhmm” while listening. And yes I think I was also wearing a cardigan. What, it was a chilly night…
- When people invite me out, I am appalled when they say we should meet past 8pm. I want to be home by midnight, yo.
- Going to the grocery excites me. S&R, especially.